Thursday, December 23, 2010

What Christmas means to me.


I know this might shock some people, others it won't. I'm not a very religious person. Not at all actually. I view Christmas as more of a cultural holiday than a religious one. It is a time for people to come together and share food, gifts, laughter. For me, it feels better giving gifts than receiving them. There's nothing quite as good as knowing you've gotten someone the perfect gift and then seeing them really appreciate it.

Christmas really means family to me. I'm so excited this year because Kalli really understands what's going on. I look forward to making many Christmas traditions with my children - the stuff they'll remember when they grow up, and maybe carry on with their own families.

At my house, growing up, we were always allowed to open one gift on Christmas Eve. It would just be the three of us and I always looked forward to it.

Joe and I always go out after Christmas and buy Hallmark ornaments half off, haha. I guess that's our first tradition. This year we let Kalli pick one out (before Christmas) for the tree.

I think about all the people that can't be with their families this year - whether they be serving our country overseas, can't afford to travel or are just stuck because of weather. It makes me so thankful that the people I love the most will be with me this holiday season. We still miss our Florida family, but luckily we were able to spend some time recently with Mamaw and Papaw when Parker was born. They brought all their Christmas gifts with them then!

So, to all my friends and family reading this blog - I love you. Merry Christmas and may you have a happy new year as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment