Friday, February 4, 2011

oh my Sarr.

It's no secret that Sara and I have been best friends for over 20 years. It's crazy to say that and remember it! My dad used to tell stories that started with "twenty years ago" and I thought that sounded like such a long time!

Anyway, I've really been lucky because she has been home while her brave and patriotic husband has been deployed to Afghanistan. But, now she has to leave and fly back to Germany soon and I find myself feeling heavy hearted. We have always managed to stay close even though we have not lived near each other in at least 10 years. We talk weekly, sometimes daily, no matter how far the distance.

I found myself trying to explain to my two year old daughter that "my Sarr" was going to be leaving soon because she had to go home to "her house". I tried to tell her she lived in a different country and that meant that she would be getting on an airplane and flying home, to Germany. Kalli just says "Gerrany??" And promptly (because it was bedtime) said "My Sara pat me...?" - meaning she wanted Sara to rub and pat her back when she went to bed. Bless her little heart. She has grown close to Sara and I know she will miss her! And I also know she won't understand.

When you have children you want as many people around them that will love them as you can get. I feel sad that Sara loves my munchkins (and they her) and she won't be here to watch them grow up. I think one of my biggest sadnesses is that my very closest friends - Jessica, Cat and Sara - don't live close to me. Jessica has a little girl of her own and I would just love to watch her and Kalli grow up together. I would love to share in motherhood with my best friends. I have to say that they help me feel less lonely, even though we are miles apart, through frequent emails and phone conversations. I often Skype with Jessica so we can see each others little ones and how much they have grown. Preslee smiles so big and waves the whole time - so precious.

Friendship really does transcend distance. I'm so thankful for my friends, even though I'm sad when I have to say good-bye. At least there's always email and the phone :)

Love you, girls :)


No comments:

Post a Comment